Sumary of After first year, FDA ready to invest in New Era’s future:
- PHOENIX — Maybe you remember something about the New Era of Smarter Food Safety.
- You might think it was longer ago than it was, but it was only a year ago that FDA’s Frank Yiannas of shared his brainchild for future food safety.
- The New Era is FDA’s “new approach to food safety, using technology and other tools to create a safer and more digital traceable food system.
- The panel of insiders from several of America’s largest food manufacturers admitted that during its first year the “New Era” was a “bootstrap” operation.
- When FDA announced it a year ago, it did predict New Era’s “blueprint” would “take over the next decade to usher in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety.
- ” It did claim its goals were “achievable” to enhance traceability, improve predictive analytics, respond more rapidly to outbreaks, address new business models, reduce contamination of food, and foster the development of stronger food safety cultures.
- And as food safety functions are going to require help from informational technology and even cybersecurity personnel, those costs are only going to increase.
- “We have to hire IT people to become part of the food safety team,” said Cargill’s Wilger.