Sumary of Concerning Which? test results prompt vital stair gate safety improvements:
- A pair of stair gates identified by our experts as so unsafe that we made them 0% Don’t Buys have had crucial changes to them to ensure they now pass our lab tests.
- The results of our expert tests have a major impact on the way manufacturers make or develop stair gates, which in turn helps to keep babies and toddlers safer.
- Each has been scored on how easy it is to install, and how safe the stair gate is when pressure and force is applied.
- Best Buy stair gates – safe, durable and easy to use What stair gate safety issues have been fixed?
- Back in 2019, our samples of the Dreambaby Chelsea and Liberty gates failed the fatigue test that forms part of the EU standard for gates (EN1930:2011).
- The original Dreambaby Chelsea gate came loose after 1,456 cycles, while the Liberty came loose after 2,727 cycles.
- Changes have been made to the installation method described in the instructions – these gates are pressure-fit models, but the instructions now state you must install them with adhesive wall cups and screws.
- The latest stair gates on test Dreambaby Chelsea Auto Close Security Gate (£35) Materials: Metal Fixing: Pressure fit with screwed wall cups Width: 69cm This metal safety gate can be used on stairs or in doorways measuring from 71cm to 80cm across.